You just purchased a new pet, and if you’re like me, your fish is family. Therefore, it only stands to reason that you need a name for your new family member. Choosing a fish name is as personal as choosing any pet name.
You want to make sure the name you choose suits your pet but also suits your personal preference. Sometimes it is best to look for certain characteristics of your pet before you name them. Perhaps you have some names in mind but can’t narrow it down.
Choosing the right fish name is difficult, and that is why you are here.
The choices for pet names are endless. You can pretty much pick anything from funny names to Spanish names. No matter what name you pick, it will fit because there are no rules for naming your fish!
However, you want to be sure that the name you choose is going to be one that will match your pet’s personality or their looks.
Here is a comprehensive list of names you can review. This list of fish names is the largest list you will find online. I literally pulled together 1047 names!
All the fish names are divided by category. Surely, by the time you get to the end of this list, you will have found the right name for your new pet.
Funny Fish Names
If you and your pet have a sense of humour, it could be fun for you to choose a name that has some humor behind it. Have a look at these unusual and funny fish names.
The best of the funny fish names:
- Jack Sparrow – The hilarious and quirky pirate from the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean.”
- James Pond – A funny twist on James Bond
- Jaws – The large shark that attacked and killed many people in the “Jaws” movie series.
Other Funny Fish Names
|Sushi||Ann Chovi||Swim Shady||Phish Stix|
|Tartar Sauce||Alpha Betta||Swedish (After the candy)||Flounder|
|Floaty||Fishy||Mr. Fish||Tin Fin|
Along with these humorous names, you can try some that are a little more “ironic” in nature. Perhaps the Gods of the Underworld are a great way to go when looking to name your pet with some humour.
Here are the best God’s of the Underworld names:
- Lucifer – the original name of Satan
- Yetzer – the Devils of Hara Mythology
- Diabolus – Another name for Satan
Other Gods of the Underworld Names
Humour and irony are great ways to name your fish and have great conversations with friends and family. However, if you are keener on puns, then there are some pun-like names you can choose for your fish.
Fish Pun Names
Here’s a few of my favorites right off the top:
- Swim Shady
- Tuna Turner
However, though these are the best pun-like names, there are so many more. Have a look at these fish pun names.
|Mackerelmore||Arowana Grande||Coldplaty||Goby Mac|
|Marlin Monroe||Barb Ruth||Rene Descarp||Susan B. Anchovy|
|Winston Perch-hill||Charles Garwin||Charles Sharkley||Michael Shoredon|
|Nat Kingfish Cod||Sharkira||Aquilla the Hun||Genghis Karp|
|Betta Midler||Arlo Guppie||Ruth Bader Finsburg||Gilly Nelson|
|Happy Gilmore||Finn Rider||Leonardo diFishy||Phish|
|Platy Perry||Biggie Smelts||Ke-Fin Bacon||Old Dirty Bass-tard|
Additionally, have a glance through some of the clever fish names out there.
Clever Fish Names
Alright, now that we’ve got those punny names out of the way, let’s talk about one of our favorite species.
When you purchase a betta, chances are you have him alone in a tank.
Therefore, you want to know what to call him when you walk by his tank.
Naming your betta can really take some thought. If you are looking to name your beautiful, flowy fish, then here are some possibilities.
Betta Fish Names
We’ll break it down by gender here, since male and female bettas are so different!
Female betta names
- Patience – She is going to need it when swimming around.
- Orchid – This colourful fish is going to brighten your life like the flower.
- Lily – Since these fish come from ponds, Lily pads are a great plant to name your fish after.
Other Female Betta Fish Names:
Male Betta Names
But of course, most popular among those who own Bettas are the males. If you have a colourful and unique betta fish that you are striving to name, here are the best Betta fish names for males.
- Harley Finn – a humorous and fun name for your betta.
- Cujo – After the terror dog in Stephen King’s novel “Cujo.”
- Captain Hook – Fun name after the character in the popular “Peter Pan” books and movies.
Other Betta Fish Names for Males:
|One True Cod||Roger||Fluffy||Betta Max|
Moving on from the funny and Betta fish names, there are many other names you can choose from for your pet.
Unique fish names are for those who like to be different. Not everyone wants to pick a name that they have heard before. If you are one of those who prefer to have a fish name that is entirely different from the mainstream fish names, here are some unique ones you can look at for your unique fish.
Most Unique Fish Names
Here’s a few favorites to get you started:
- Atlantis – after the fictional underwater city.
- Bon-Bon – the French word for candy.
- Beluga – after the whale.
There are tons of unique fish names you can use for either male or female fish. Have a look through the list and pick the one that you like best.
Hawaiian Fish Names
When you think about tropical beautifully colored fish, you likely think about paradise.
Maybe even tropics come to mind when you are enjoying watching your colourful and flowy fish swimming around.
It’s easy for this little underwater friend to take you to places you don’t normally think about day to day. Often times, you think to name your fish after something that reminds you of the tropics.
There are some great Hawaiian fish names out there that you can use to name your pet.
Here are the best Hawaiian fish names you can find:
- Moana – Which is also a name of the popular Disney movie.
- Pao – means hump headed, but sounds cool.
- Kawele – is the unique name of a Japanese Baracuda.
Couples Fish Names
Every once in a while, there are two fish who stand out the most. Sometimes you buy them as a couple. They might be an actual male/female couple, siblings, or friends who are always together.
Maybe they are the only two of their breed in your tank.
In these situations, you might want to have a good couples fish names. There are many different types of couple’s names you can get for the two fish in your life who stick together.
Best Couples Fish Names
Salt and Pepper – these names are especially good if your fish are black and white.
Peek and Boo – As part of the popular kids’ game that you probably played with your kids as a baby.
Splish and Splash – Since of course they play in the water, and it just fits.
Other Couples Fish Names:
|Romeo and Juliet||Aqua and Fina||Tic and Tac||Bonnie and Clyde|
|Tuna and Pike Turner||Jane and Doe||Thelma and Louise||Gidgette and Moondoggie|
|One Fish Two Fish||Mickey and Minnie||Aladdin and Jasmine||Hall and Oats|
|Gilligan and Skipper||Bob and Doug||Batman and Robin||Donald and Daffy|
|Ben and Jerry||Adam and Eve||Bert and Ernie||Bow and Arrow|
|Chip and Dale||Antony and Cleopatra||Cutie and Pies||Fire and Ice|
|Gruesome Twosome||Holly and Ivy||Double Trouble||Lock and Chain|
|Maple and Syrup||Milk and Cookies||Peanut Butter and Jelly||Peter and Piper|
|Rascal and Scamp||Peas and Carrots||Perfect Match||Shake and Bake|
|Quick and Nimble||Scooby and Shaggy||Sherlock and Watson||Sweet and Sour|
|Tit and Tat||Thunder and Lightning||Ying and Yang||Smash and Dash|
|Dynamic and Duo||Zig and Zag||Peat and Repeat||Lucy and Ethel|
|Bambi and Thumper||Cinnamon and Spice||Calvin and Hobbes||Pongo and Perdita|
|Beauty and Best||Homer and Marge||Fred and Ginger||Lady and Tramp|
|Cain and Abel||Wilbur and Orville||Buzz and Woody||Lilo and Stitch|
|Pebbles and Bambam||Winnie and Pooh||Dust and Buster||Fortune and Cookie|
|Shark and Bait||Ali and Baba||Pip and Squeak||Buttons and Bows|
|Calamity and Chaos||Gadget and Gizmo||Hip and Hop||Hugs and Kisses|
|Lightning and Thunder||Starlight and Moondust||Chocolate and Vanilla||Sleepy and Peppy|
|Bow and Wow||Bill and Phil||Fuzzy and Wuzzy||Miley and Kiley|
|Summer and Winter||Spring and Autumn||Sugar and Spice||Chilli and Pepper|
Cute Fish Names
Naming your cute fish can sometimes be trickier.
You want to give them the perfect name to match their cuteness.
However, how do you find a cute fish name?
There are many different cute fish names you can look through for your cutest family member. Your adorable little fish can be named many different things that are just as cute, and he is.
The Best Cute Fish Names:
- Swimmy – of course, this makes the top fish names. It is what they do, after all.
- Flounder – the cute and sweet friend of Ariel in “The Little Mermaid.”
- Larry – the cute and funny shark from “Shark Tales.”
There are many other cute fish names that you can consider as well:
- Cleo – The cute fish in “Pinocchio.”
- Dory – The bluefish in “Finding Nemo.”
- Algae – That green, gooey stuff that grows in your tank.
- Kraken – After the mystical sea creature that usually isn’t associated with cuteness, but works.
- Bubbles – simply because it is cute and that’s what you are looking for.
- Pillow – a name that is especially suitable for a white fish.
- Rocket – an adorable name for any sidekick.
- Turbo – for that fish that is especially active.
Famous Fish Names
Famous fish names are always a popular choice when it comes to naming your fish. Many people enjoy naming their fish after a beloved fish character from television.
There are some in other categories, but here is a more comprehensive list of famous fish names.
Best Famous Fish Names:
- Moby Dick – After a famous whale.
- Orca – After the type of Whale.
- Flipper – after the beloved dolphin.
- There are many more names you can consider.
- Ariel – After The Little Mermaid
- Blinky – the three-eyed fish in “The Simpsons.”
- Fish out of Water – From “Chicken Little.”
- Fishtronaut – which is a character in a Brazilian Cartoon.
- Jabberjaw – the name of a fictional shark in a Hanna-Barbara Cartoon.
- Marlin – The father of Nemo in “Finding Nemo.”
- Nemo – is always a popular fish name.
- Oscar – In the show “Fish Hooks.”
- Winnie – The seahorse in “The Little Mermaid.”
- Trevor – the Goldfish in “Being Human.”
- Gail – The goldfish in “The West Wing.”
- Dorothy – the fish the Elmo owns.
- Don Lino – The head shark in “Sharks Tale.”
- Bruce – The shark in “Finding Nemo.”
Now, gender plays an important role for you when it comes to naming your fish.
After all, you don’t want to name a female fish Bob or a male fish Ana.
The names for gendered fish is just as vast as it would be if you were naming a baby. You can choose from a large list of gender-specific names to provide your fish with an appropriate name for their gender.
Boy Fish Names
Naming your females is just as important as naming your males.
Since there is an endless list of girl names out there, here are some the right ones for your fish.
Girl Fish Names
Naming your pet by the colour of their vibrant fins is common. However, that means finding the right fish name that suits the colour of your pet.
The best way to name your pet by colour is to choose a variation of the colour they are. There are many different names for different shades of colours that you can look through to help aid your naming journey.
You will surely find the right coloured fish name to suit your aquatic pet.
Blue Fish Names
Orange Fish Names
Red Fish Names
Yellow Fish Names
Pink Fish Names
Black Fish Names
White Fish Names
Finding Nemo Fish Names
Alright, so if you have a clownfish, naming it Nemo is probably the easiest decision you can make, right?
But there are a ton of other fish from Finding Nemo and Finding Dory that you can choose for your non-clownfish pets, right?
For those tiny fish in your life, they need a name that will suit size and personality.
Small Fish Names
If you have a shark, you might think that Jaws isn’t the way to go. After all, it is a popular name for the shark. Here’s a few ideas to name your shark something that is original and not what everyone else is doing.
Pet Shark Names
Spanish is a great language to draw names from when you are looking to name a pet.
Spanish Fish Names
- Sierra – Meaning saw-toothed
- Alejandro – Meaning defends mankind and is the Spanish name for Alexander.
- Garcia – A unisex name that has unknown origins and possibly means Fox. It is also a famously Spanish surname.
Other great Spanish fish names:
Picking the perfect name for your fish is not an easy task. The last thing you want to do is pick a name and regret it later. If you made it through these lists, then chances are you have already found the perfect name for your fish.
However, if you haven’t don’t despair, go through the list again. Surely something will jump out at you, and you will love the name you pick. Your fish is just as important in your family as any other pet would be.
Pick the right name for your little swimming buddy and enjoy your time together.